Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day Feast

Happy Snow Day!! I just got back from the grocery store to pick up the essentials… two bottles of Bogle wine and Baked Lays Ruffles.   I walked to Publix and I made it back in one piece (and by “I”, I really mean my wine).  You’d be shocked to see what people flock to in the grocery store in crises such as these.  They were out of the usual… bread, milk, eggs, and sour cream and fat free mayo.  People can’t live two days without sour cream and fat free mayo?  Other “essentials” were gone, too: skim milk, lean cuisines, all the veggies and the cheap wine.  Don’t panic, though!! I was able to make a delicious, well-balanced meal last night and I’m here to share!
“Fried” Panko Chicken Tenders (Recipe from Cooking Light)
The Players:
1 ½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs – I’m sure you could use regular but panko is much more flakey)
¼ tsp ground pepper
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup nonfat buttermilk (which of course they were out of… skim milk substituted)
1 ½ lbs chicken breast tenders (about 12)
Cooking Spray
Cajun-Creole Dipping Sauce (Recipe below)
1.       Preheat Oven to 450
2.       Combine panko, pepper, and salt in a shallow dish.  Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish.
3.       Dip chicken in buttermilk; dredge in panko mixture, pressing firmly to coat.  Shake off excess panko mixture.  Place chicken on a wire rack; let stand 10 minutes.  While chicken stands, place a jelly-roll pan in oven to heat.
(OK… anytime I hear “jelly-roll” pan I think of Amelia Bedelia and how she rolled jelly on the floor.  My personal hero.)
4.       Coat chicken well with cooking spray.  Remove hot pan from oven; coat with cooking spray.  Arrange chicken in a single layer on pan.  Bake at 450 for 23 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.  Serve with Cajun-Creole Dipping Sauce. 

Cajun-Creole Dipping Sauce
6 tbsp fat free mayo (I used “light” because they were out of “fat free”)
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 ½ tsp fresh parsley chopped
1 tsp Cajun-Creole seasoning
1/8 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp salt
1.       Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until blended. 
I served them with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.  It was delicious! They didn’t brown quite as beautifully as the picture in the cookbook but they were as good as any homemade “fried” chicken fingers get.  I might’ve needed to spray them with more cooking spray to help the browning (or my apartment oven stinks). 

Also, if you were wondering where my adorable place mats came from… that would be World Market.  Thanks Mom!  They’re reversible!

STATS:
Injuries: 0
Missing Ingredients/Substitutions: Several… But it’s Snowmageddon so I had to pull a MacGyver on this recipe!
Satisfied Customers: YES very tasty!
PS: Want to see the view outside my apartment on this pretty snow day??

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome way to make "fried" chicken - very WW friendly!

    ReplyDelete