Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just Some Minor Injuries and Couscous

I've spared you from some pictures in this post - primarily of my sliced fingers and a minor burn on my left index finger.  I've really been battling it out this week between kitchen injuries, sore throat, and unforgiving allergies.  There was also the flood caused by me opening the dishwasher while full of water and the burnt pans.  Burnt pans.  You read that right.  It takes someone truly special to burn something that's made to sit on fire. Basically, I have been a huge mess but managed to sew myself together to get you this post. 

What could be worth it for me to put myself together and write this post?  Feta-Chicken Couscous Salad with Basil.  It is definitely more of a summer dish, but, like I said before, I love anything that combines every aspect of a meal (Except my wine, I like to enjoy that separately as well as in the dish, even if it doesn't call for it.  I learned that from my dad). 



Feta-Chicken Couscous Salad with Basil (from Cooking Light)
1 1/4 cups water
2/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tbsp capers (rinsed and drained)
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups mixed baby salad greens
1/4 cup (1 oz) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese

1. Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan.  Add couscous; remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
2.  While couscous stands, combine chicken and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat.
3.  Fluff couscous with a fork.  Add couscous, salad greens, and cheese to chick mixture; toss gently to coat.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

I very much enjoyed this but I did add a little more lemon juice when I served it for more flavor BUT the capers really came through - dee-lish!  I'll definitely make this again this summer.  The boyfriend and I ended up eating most of it so I didn't have any leftovers.  That would be my only concern is how it would save with the lettuce in it.  It was very easy, little clean up, and plenty of flavor.  This Cooking Light book is becoming my best friend!



Anyways... Stats aren't so great this week:
Bodily Injuries: 2 sliced fingers and 1 burned finger tip
Kitchen Injuries: 1 flooded kitchen floor and 1 burnt pan
Overall Satisfaction: 8 out of 10.  Good flavor but more of a summer dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment