Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Orzo Salad, The Pasta Not The Rice

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and when it comes to being in the kitchen after lock-down in the 5x12 death-trap for 4 days, nothing else seems so true.  Now I’m back and ready to work on the relationship. 

I love dishes that combine all the necessities… the meat, the carbs, the veggies.  Paella, risottos, etc, are all so beautiful and so flavorful. I wanted to try this recipe for that very reason.  When combined, all the ingredients looked so colorful, tasty, and healthy (in the cookbook).  Time to see if I could make it look and taste that great!

Lovely serving bowl thanks to Molly and Jim!!! It makes my food look good!
Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette from Cooking Light
6 cups water
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1 (1 ¼ lb) skinless salmon fillet
Salt
Pepper
Cooking Spray
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette (below)

1.       Preheat Broiler.
2.       Bring water to boil in large saucepan.  Add asparagus; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Remove asparagus from water with tongs or slotted spoon, reserving water in pan.  Plunge asparagus into ice water; drain and set aside.  (I just put the asparagus in a colander and rinsed with cold water.)
3.       Return reserved water to a boil.  Add orzo, and cook according to package directions, omitting fat and salt (… or not… I kept the salt).
4.       While orzo cooks, sprinkle fillet with salt and pepper.  Place fish on a foil-lined broiler pan coated with cooking spray.  Broil 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.  Using 2 forks break fish into large chunks.  Combine fish, orzo, asparagus, onion, and Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette in a large bowl; toss gently to coat.  Yield: 6 servings about 1 ¼ cups each.

Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette
1/3 cup feta cheese (I got the fat-free kind)
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp EVOO
Salt/pepper
1.       Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.  

Thanks for your help, Pierre!
All in all, I am very pleased with this recipe.  It wasn't overly lemon-y, salmon-y, asparagus-y and it tasted really light and flavorful.  I would recommend it!  Although I am very afraid of my broiler since my stove is so old and makes rumbling fire noises - the salmon turned out OK and I didn't burn down my apartment complex.  You're welcome, neighbors. 

Check out my final product below.  Also, note the table trays my parents got me for Christmas and the lovely flowers my boyfriend got me!  For no reason!  This is why I let him eat the amazing food I make.  Actually, I make him try it first in case the results are fatal.  Just kidding...


1 comment:

  1. That recipe looks amazing! I love that you're using the bowl we gave you :) Let me know if you need a good risotto recipe, cause girl, you know I've got some!

    ReplyDelete